At the very centre of the old town, this neoclassical opera house has become an architectural icon for the city.
The original 18th-century opera house was destroyed by a fire, so its replacement dates to the early 1990s. After a four year period of German occupation, during which the opera house hosted over a hundred German shows and concerts, it officially opened to the public in 1923.
The building is adorned with neoclassical features and is one of the last examples in France to use the architectural feature loggia. The Grand Hall, hooded by a dome, is aptly named for its elegance and size, seating 1,138 people in comfortable armchairs.
Since 2004, the opera house has offered a wide repertoire of traditional and contemporary dance and music. Working with directors from all over the world, its programme of operas, concerts and performances aims to broaden the geographical and social origin of its audience.