Built in 1875 on the site of a former citadel, this park features monuments, a museum and much more.
This city park was built in 1875 on the site of the former citadel of Ghent (built in turn between 1819 and 1831), after being purchased by the then mayor Charles de Kerchove de Denterghem in 1870-1871.
During the construction of the park, the existing natural slopes and the remains of the ancient citadel were used. Here and there there are still parts of the barracks that have been demolished with great difficulty. 780 trees, including some rare specimens, are a further attraction. In addition, the university's botanical garden and the Ledeganck campus are located on the edge of the park itself.
The park was redeveloped at the beginning of the 20th century and buildings were built to host the 1913 Universal Exposition. The structure changed again in 1930, in honor of the celebration of the centenary of the independence of Belgium. In 1938 a bunker was built under the park, which is located right next to the Leopold barracks, but unfortunately it was not completed before the invasion of the Germans.
Today this splendid park is a fantastic place, and not only to enjoy nature: animal lovers can bring dogs for a walk here; children under the age of 10 can have fun on the playground; again, when the sun is shining, Ghent residents, tourists and students can relax and have a pic-nic.
Citadelpark, 9000 Ghent, Belgium
Customer ratings and reviews