An 18th-century church and domed tower in Gendarmenmarkt, Berlin’s most notable square.
A group of refugee French Protestants, known as Huguenots, built the Französischer Dom (French Cathedral) in 1705. The neighbouring domed tower was added in 1785 by the German architect, Carl von Gontard.
Confusingly, even though ‘dom’ is German for cathedral, it is just a church and takes its name from the French for ‘dome’.
Stand outside and admire the neoclassical design of both buildings, each with Corinthian columns and sculpted pediments.
Today, the French Cathedral is still used for congregations.