The Brandenburg Gate can be considered the infamous symbol of a divided Germany.
The Brandenburger Tor (Brandenburg Gate) is known worldwide as the symbol for both Berlin and the unified Germany. The gate between the former East and West Berlin was officially opened on 22 December 1989 and witnessed many moments of tears and joy in the direct aftermath of the German revolution.
The gate was built between 1788-1791 by architect C G Langhans and is the only remaining city gate in Berlin. It is in the style of the Propylean on the Acropolis in Athens with its six dorian columns, creating five passages to walk through. On top is the Roman Quadriga, together with the goddess of victory, added in 1794 by Gottfried Schadow.
In the 19th century, Pariser Platz hosted wealthy town houses, embassies and the hotel Adlon, often called the definitive place to stay in Berlin. The other buildings surrounding the gate were destroyed during the Second World War and have been replaced by modern architecture that plays with old elements, such as the twin buildings Haus Liebermann and Haus Sommer.
The gate is a popular tourist attraction and locals come here for public celebrations, such as the day of the German unification (3 October) and New Year's Eve.
Pariser Platz, 10117 Berlin