The Belém Tower is Lisbon's most recognisable landmark and a great example of Portuguese Manuelin architecture.
The Belém Tower was built between 1515 and 1519 by Francisco de Arruda at the mouth of the Tagus River. The tower, commissioned by King John II, initially served to protect the city, and later became a lighthouse and the Lisbon’s customs centre. In 1983 it was declared World Heritage Site by UNESCO.
Today the tower is one of Lisbon’s top sights, both for its strategic location on the northern bank of the river, close to the Jeronimos Monastery, and for its beauty. It is probably the second-best example of Manuelin architecture after the Monastery.
Going all the way to the top to admire the beautiful Moorish bartizan turrets on the bastion terrace.
Torre de Belém
Av. Brasília, 1400-038 Lisbon