The first free public park in Kiev. Today the hilltop’s main draws are its historical monument and sweeping views across the city.
The first historical reference to Volodymyr Hill was in the Primary Chronicles of Kievan Rus, where it describes Sviatopolk II of Kiev building St. Michael's Golden-Domed Cathedral in 1108.
It wasn’t until the St. Volodymyr monument was built in 1853 that it became a park, which has since evolved to include pathways, flower beds and other manmade features. In 1898, the famous wrought-iron Kokorev pavilions were built. They remain popular rendezvous and photo spots, providing unobstructed views of the Dnieper river and its banks.
In the north of the park, a funicular connects Kiev’s Upper Town neighbourhood with the historic district of Podil.