Reduced to ruins since its destruction in 1706, the Roman Catholic cathedral sat on the hillside of the Château de Nice, overlooking the city.
The cathedral was previously the seat of the Bishops of Nice. It was built on the hilly territory of the Château de Nice at the end of the 10th-century, in the Pre-Romanesque architectural style.
By the 13th-century, the church had become extremely neglected, and so the bishop's functions were gradually moved to the church, later cathedral, of St. Reparata. Cimiez Cathedral was severely damaged during the Siege of Nice in 1691, and demolished entirely in 1706.