The original cathedral was one of the most beautiful Gothic structures in northern France. It has since been reconstructed and restored to its splendour, after being destroyed several times in various wars.
Arras Cathedral is a Roman Catholic church in the heart of Arras, one of the biggest cities in northern France. The original cathedral, built between 1030 and 1396, was a striking example of Gothic architecture until it was destroyed in the French Revolution.
Following its destruction, the cathedral as it now stands was planned to be the church of the neighbouring Abbey of Saint-Vaast (now home to a museum and gallery). Construction began in around 1778 under the direction of Pierre Contant d'Ivry, the architect responsible for the first designs of the Église de la Madeleine in Paris.
Further periods of damage during the two world wars resulted in further restorations. It remains in use today; an architecturally and historically impressive structure at the heart of Arras’ historic centre.