The Grand Palais was originally built to house the 1900 Universal Exhibition. With its extraordinary façade composed of over 200,000 tonnes of stone and the largest glass roof in Europe, it is a striking example of the Belle Epoque architecture. Today its vast, well-lit spaces are used for many outstanding exhibitions.
Having hosted numerous international exhibitions and even serving as a military hospital during the First World War, today the Palace welcomes temporary exhibitions from a range of artistic cultures and mediums.
The space is so large that even show jumping and driving events have been held here, thanks to the sandy area in the nave Grand Palais.
In 1960, Le Corbusier wanted to demolish it and replace it with a contemporary art museum, for which André Malraux (Minister of Culture between 1959 and 1969) gave him the go-ahead. Fortunately, Corbusier's death in 1965 put an end to the project and the Grand Palais survived.
Click here to read our interview with Jean-Paul Cluzel, former President of the RMN-Grand Palais.