On the final stretch to the main station is Cologne’s oldest and most famous bridge.
In 1822 a wooden pontoon bridge was built here, which rested on barges and was raised several times a day to allow boats through. In 1855, it was replaced with the Dombrücke. But, in the early 20th-century it became too small to handle the amount of railway traffic, so construction on the larger ‘‘Hohenzollern Bridge’’ began in 1907. It was destroyed during the Second World War but fully reconstructed by 1959. It has since been widened to hold six railway tracks, a pedestrian walkway and it doubles as a romantic lock-bridge.