This is Cologne’s oldest park, but was originally two separate places.
The Flora gardens were created first, in 1864, to replace those at the Cathedral which had to make way for the building of the main station. In 1914 a botanical garden was created nearby and the two were connected in 1920, making an 11.5-acre park. The Flora section includes a cast-iron and glass orangery in the centre, which was built in 1864. Following renovation, it reopened in 2014 and now holds regular events and banquets. The pond and gardens with greenhouses and various exotic plants are other highlights. The botanical garden in the north part has around 10000 plant species.