A short walk from the St.Maria im Kapitol church, this museum is in the church of St.Cecilia, one of Cologne’s oldest churches.
The museum opened in 1910, after theologian, Alexander Schnütgen, donated his private collection to the city on the condition that a museum be built for it. Nowadays it exhibits art from antiquity to the modern day, holding over 13000 objects from wooden and stone sculptures, stained glass and metalwork, to rare ivories and textiles. Aside from being a museum, the church also holds concerts based on the Middle Ages.
Customer ratings and reviews