The Museum of Fine Arts in Ghent, Belgium, is situated at the East side of the Citadel Park. The museum holds a large permanent collection of art from the Middle Ages until the mid 20th century. The collection focuses on Flemish Art but also has several European - especially French - paintings.
The museum, recognized as a French institution, was initially founded in the Saint-Pierre church of Ghent and was not accessible to the public until 1802.
In 1809 he was transferred to a more appropriate city building, a room of the Municipal Academy located in a former Augustinian convent. Subsequently, the city of Ghent will try in vain to recover some important works brought to France, many of which are still in the Louvre.
It was in 1898 that the decision was made to build a new building capable of housing new works purchased by the city.
Thus the Ghent Museum of Fine Arts as we know it today was born.
The new complex designed by the architect Charles Van Rysselberghe will be erected in two phases, in the Citadel Park: the first dates back to 1902, the second to 1913, on the occasion of the Universal Exposition. Severely damaged during the Second World War, the building will however be completely rebuilt, renovated and modernized. A good part of the collection, secured in Pau, in the south of France, has been spared.
The museum underwent expansion works in the early 21st century and was finally reopened in 2007.
Museum of Fine Arts
Fernand Scribedreef 1, 9000 Ghent, Belgium