Harold Peto was employed by the Honourable Louis Greville in 1913 to create the Japanese-style gardens at Heale House.
Sir William Greene built the first house here in the mid 16th century for his daughter and new son-in-law. It passed down through the Bowles family, who bought the house in the 17th century, and several tenants, until the Hon Louis Greville bought it in 1894. He’s the great-uncle of the current owners, Guy and Frances Rasch, and he enlarged the house carefully and elegantly. He employed Harold Peto to design the formal gardens there at the very beginning of the 20th century. Greville had worked at the British Embassy in Tokyo and he was enthusiastic about Japanese design, so he brought back a small nikko bridge and Japanese tea house to put in his new garden. Peto also planted magnolia trees round the small garden, along with roses, tulips and topiary bushes. The vegetable garden continues to supply food for the house, and the small chalk stream that runs through the woodland is lined with snowdrops and spring bulbs in the early months of the year.
Customer ratings and reviews