This Jacobean-Gothic house was built by the 1st Lord Baltimore in 1622 and has spectacular grounds.
George Calvert, 1st Lord Baltimore and the founder of Maryland (USA), built Kiplin Hall as a hunting lodge around 1622. But just 100 years later, the 5th Baron Baltimore had financial problems and sold the property to Christopher Crowe, his stepfather. Crowe began to renovate the house and added a grand staircase and fireplace to make it a more comfortable place for people to live. It passed by marriage to John Delaval Carpenter in 1817 and in 1819, P.F Robinson was commissioned to build a south wing in the Gothic style.When a family cousin, Captain Walter Cecil Talbot, took up residence in 1887 he commissioned William Eden Nesfield to add a Jacobean library to the Hall. His second wife was keen on the Arts and Crafts movement and she brought in some furniture from local craftspeople. However, from 1907 the house was let to tenants and the estate fell into decline. Bridget Elizabeth Talbot, another relative, campaigned to save the Hall and established the Kiplin Hall Trust, which cares for the Hall and Estate today.
Inside the house you can see objects and rooms from different centuries and even different countries. There’s a Gothic-style 19th-century library with heraldic stained glass windows, and a Travellers’ Bedroom with furniture from Italy, India and Japan. During the Second World War, the house was used by the RAF, and the Kitchen has been left in the same state as it was then - a real trip back in time. Outside there is space for walks in the woodland and around the lake, or for the more adventurous, pond-dipping activities in the Lily Pond. The White Garden has displays of tulips and hellebore in Spring, and the Walled Garden grows fruit and vegetables that are used in the Hall’s tea rooms.