The terraced gardens at Milton Lodge were laid out in 1903 by the present owner’s great-grandfather, Charles Tudway, and offer panoramic views of Wells and the Vale of Avalon.
Milton Lodge was built in 1790 and the gardens were added later at the request of Charles Tudway in the 20th century. The Lodge is built on a slope, which presented a challenge for the garden designer; the solution was to build terraced gardens, like giant steps on the hillside. This means that each terrace has its own character and differs from the others; the sweeping lawn of the Central Terrace contrasts with the rose-filled Sundial Terrace, and the Pool Terrace provides a cooler place for warm days.
The Lodge also has a less formal arboretum, called the Combe. It’s eight acres in size and winds around the Lodge, featuring a Cedar of Lebanon and some great oak trees.