In wartime 1940 France a lost dog called Robot led four teenagers to the cave of Lascaux, where they stumbled across some of the finest Stone Age art in Europe.
Listed as a UNESCO World Heritage site, the Vézère Valley has 25 caves decorated with prehistoric artwork, with Lascaux being the most well-known. The caves were opened to the public in 1948 but seven years later some 1,200 people were visiting the site every day, causing damage to the original artwork.
In 1963 it was closed to the public and work began to create a replica called Lascaux II, which opened in 1983, with entry only possible on a guided tour lasting 40 minutes.
Customer ratings and reviews