In San Secondo di Pinerolo, in Piedmont, stands the Miradolo Castle, surrounded by a wonderful 19th century historical park at the foot of the Alps, from which you can enjoy a suggestive view of the Monviso. The ancient residence and garden are now the headquarters of the Cosso Foundation, born in 2008 by the will of Maria Luisa Cosso and her daughter Paola Eynard.
After an impressive restoration, Maria Luisa Cosso and her daughter Paola Eynard have returned to the community an important resource of the territory, today the cultural reference point of the Piedmont Region.
The Cosso Foundation designs and organizes activities of cultural and social interest, with great commitment in the didactic and training field. The initiatives are many and range from exhibition events - masterpieces by Caravaggio, Beato Angelico and Tiepolo were hosted in the castle - to the musical and performative ones that accompany the exhibitions and take place outside, in the splendid green scenery. They are flanked by training courses aimed at young people, families, schools, with the direct involvement of students and social activities.
Despite having more ancient origins, in the 20s of the 19th century the Miradolo Castle and its Park lived their golden age with "Babet", nickname of Maria Elisabetta Ferrero della Marmora, wife of the Marquis Maurizio Massel. She was a woman of great personality and resourcefulness. Thanks to her, the park takes on a landscape appearance and gains its current dimensions: the Citroniera and the round tower are built, the main facade is redone and the surrounding wall is erected.
In 1866, on the occasion of the wedding between Luigi Cacherano di Bricherasio and Teresa Massel, grandson of Maria Elisabetta, the Castle was renewed again and became the summer residence of the Bricherasio family, an important Piedmontese family whose personal affairs are closely intertwined with the Piedmontese institutional and entrepreneur world of those years.
Sofia and Emanuele were born from the union of Luigi and Teresa (the latter was one of the founding partners of FIAT, the first major Italian car company). Her sister Sofia, the last descendant of the family, was passionate about painting and a pupil of the painter Lorenzo Delleani, a famous Biella landscape painter, a regular guest of the cultural center built around the countess.
With his disappearance in 1950, the property of Miradolo passed to a religious congregation that transformed it into a home for spiritual exercises and hospitality for the elderly, giving the structure profound structural and functional changes that have determined deep and unfortunately irreversible scars on the nineteenth-century design of the Palace and Park.
After years of neglect, in 2007 a group of private individuals intervened by purchasing the structure and giving it to the Cosso Foundation which the following year inaugurated its activity and started an imposing restoration project of the Palace and the Park with the aim of restoring to this marvelous place, so long offended by human hands, the original vocation of cultural pole.
Miradolo Castle and its Park are open all year round for guided tours for individuals and groups, private events and the institutional and public needs of companies. The visits can be combined with tastings to discover the local traditions, with the collaboration of the historic Antica Pasticceria Castino and the Piazza Duomo di Pinerolo restaurant.
In addition to the internal Cafeteria, the Castle has large spaces equipped for conferences, meetings and training. The spaces of the ancient residence and of the Park can be an exceptional setting for photo shoots, video footage and fashion shows.
The opening hours may vary according to seasonality or current events. Reservations are recommended.
CLOSED from August 27 to September 30.
Via Cardonata 2 – 10060, San Secondo di Pinerolo (TO)