A medieval castle overlooking the city of Battipaglia.
Robert the Guiscardo, a Norman noble, built this castle to defend the surrounding countryside in the 11th-century. It changed hands a lot. At one point it belonged to King Frederick II of Swabia (1090 to 1147).
In the mid-17th-century, the Italian aristocrat Giulio Pignatelli bought the castle and turned it into a summer home.