Built in 1852, the Isabel-II Bridge (also known as Puente de Triana) is the oldest bridge in Seville.
The Isabel II Bridge, also known as the Triana Bridge, is the sixth bridge to span the Guadalquivir dock, which crosses Seville from north to south.
In 1824, the construction of a permanent and fixed bridge was encouraged by a royal decree. Construction began in 1845 and the Isabel II Bridge was inaugurated in 1852 with a military parade. It was the first fixed bridge to be built in Seville.
Previously, only a floating bridge crossed the Guadalquivir River. The 149-metre bridge was named in honour of Isabel II because it was built during her reign.
In 1958, the bridge was closed to lorry and bus traffic due to the damage caused by the increasing lorry and bus traffic. Later, work was carried out by the professor of metal structures, Juan Batanero García Geraldo, transforming the arches of the bridge into simple aesthetic structures. Destroyed in 1931, the Carrousel Bridge in Paris served as a model for the construction of the Isabel II Bridge.