The Cappella Sansevero is a chapel located on Via Francesco de Sanctis 19, just northwest of the church of San Domenico Maggiore, in the historic center of Naples, Italy. It contains works of Rococo art by some of the leading Italian artists of the 18th century.
Its origin dates to 1590 when the Duke of Torremaggiore had a private chapel built in the gardens of the nearby Sansevero family residence, the Palazzo Sansevero.
The chapel received its alternative name of 'Pietatella' from a painting of the Virgin Mary (La Pietà) spotted here in 1623.
The chapel houses almost thirty works of art, among which are three particular sculptures of note. These marble statues are: 'The Veiled Truth' (Pudicizia) was completed by Antonio Corradini in 1752; The 1753 'Christ Veiled under a Shroud' (also called Veiled Christ), by Giuseppe Sanmartino; The 'Release from Deception' (Disinganno) completed in 1753-54 by Francesco Queirolo of Genoa.