The monastery of Santa Chiara is a monumental basilica in Naples, one of the most important of the city.
It is the largest Gothic basilica in the city; it includes four monumental cloisters, the archaeological excavations in the surrounding area and several other rooms in which the homonymous Museum of the Opera is housed, which in turn also includes the choir of the nuns with the remains of Giotto's frescoes, a large refectory, the sacristy and other basilica rooms.
Built at the behest of Roberto d'Angiò and his wife, the architect Gagliardo Primario was commissioned to build it; he started the works in 1310 and finished them in 1328, although the consecration to Santa Chiara will take place only in 1340.
The church soon became one of the most important in Naples, and some of the most famous artists of the time worked there, such as Tino di Camaino and Giotto, who painted some frescoes in the choir of the nuns including 'Episodes of the Apocalypse' and 'Stories of the Old Testament'.
During the Second World War a bombing caused a fire which partly destroyed some of the interiors of the church and caused the loss of all the frescoes painted in the 18th century and most of the Giotto ones painted during the construction of the building , of which only a few fragments have been saved. Subsequent restoration works have brought the church back to its original form, while part of the frescoes have been definitively lost.