The construction of this Catholic church began in 1509 in the Kalsa district of Palermo, one of the oldest parts of the city. The church, despite being unfinished, shows the Gothic architectural style which reflects Spanish influence in Palermo.
The church was unfinished because of the growing threat of Ottoman invasion. Building supplies that were intended for the roof of the church were instead used to fortify and protect the city. Now, more than 500 years later, the church is still unfinished. This makes it a great open-air space, perfect for cultural events such as theatre and music.