Palermo’s four historical districts meet in this octagonal intersection, built in 1609. During this time, Palermo was under direct Spanish rule. The intersection, known as Four Corners, was built to honor the Spanish Viceroy (ruler in Palermo).
Curved palaces, in the style of late-Renaissance Rome, enclose Quattro Canti. Each one is decorated with statues arranged in three tiered sections which represent the ascension to heaven. At the bottom are fountains symbolising the ancient rivers that once flowed through Palermo. Above these fountains are figures depicting the four seasons. On the second tier, there are statues in memory of four different Spanish sovereigns, whilst the final tier presents female patron saints of Palermo.