Punta della Dogana is located between the Grand and Giudecca Canals at the tip of an island in the Dorsoduro district. The building houses a contemporary art space, along with the Palazzo Grassi.
Punta della Dogana, whose construction began in 1677 and ended in 1682, was used as a customs house. After being abandoned for a few years, the building has recently been turned into an art gallery, thanks to the funds of the french billionaire and art collector, François Pinault.
At the top of the building there are two statues of Atlas holding a golden globe. The sculpture turns in the wind and metaphorically represents the unpredictability of the Fortune.