Papadopoli gardens are a small public park in the historic center of Venice. They are located in the Santa Croce district, near Piazzale Roma.
On the area now occupied by the gardens once stood the monastery of Santa Croce, inhabited by a community of Poor Clare nuns; it was closed in 1810 during the Napoleonic suppression and later demolished.
The garden project was conceived by Francesco Bagnara in 1834-35 at the behest of Teresa Mosconi, wife of Count Spiridione Papadopoli who had become owner of the land.
Bagnara built in the northern part, towards the Grand Canal, an English park in line with the Romantic trends of the period, characterized by sinuous avenues and hills. The remaining part was more regular with geometric flowerbeds.
Remodeled and enlarged in 1863 by Marco Quignon on behalf of the new owners Niccolò and Angelo Papadopoli, numerous specimens of exotic plants were gradually introduced inside, but also an aviary with parrots and silver pheasants.
Damaged by the bombings of the First World War, around 1920 they were opened to the public and in 1933 they were involved in the construction of Piazzale Roma and suffered serious alterations.
The parks currently occupy a fenced area of 7 500 m² which is not very bright even in summer due to the fairly dense tree cover and the presence of evergreen species.