Museo di Storia Naturale di Venezia is a natural history museum in the Fondaco dei Turchi, on the Grand Canal. Its collections relate mainly to the natural history of the Venetian lagoon that surrounds the city.
The Natural History Museum in Venice was founded in 1923 with a decree of Venice’s Municipality to hold and display a number of scientific collections collected from different sources. It was officially opened in 1932.
This museum has incredibly been expanding over the time, and nowadays there are around two million objects in the permanent collection; the library has over 40,000 books.
The collection cover botanical, entomological, and zoological specimens, fossils, and ethnographic collections.
In 2011 the museum has been renovated and 16 new halls, a garden and entrance area have been added to the old structure.