The castle of San Giusto is a fortress-museum located on the hill of the same name in Trieste.
This fortress can be dated back to the 15th century; it’s origins are quite original: it was built by the citizens of Trieste to honour the Austrians, who had destroyed the city after its denial to recognize the Emperor Frederick III of Habsburg’s authority. So it’s a monument which honours the winner.
The fortress considerably expanded during the Venetians dominion in the 16th century.
As a historic residence, it was restored in the 2000s and used as a civic museum by the Municipality of Trieste, to which the building has belonged since 1930. On 4 April 2001 on the Lalio bastion was inaugurated the Lapidary Tergestino consisting of inscriptions, sculptures, bas-reliefs and fragments of Roman architecture.
The interior of the castle is full of historical inscriptions and commemorative plaques; immediately in the entrance there are some military banners and emblems of the patrician families of the city, too.
It can only be visited in part: in particular, in addition to the lapidary, the chapel, the Caprin room, the large inner courtyard - the venue for summer events – the museum of weapons and the stands -from which you can enjoy a wide view of the city below - are accessible.
Customer ratings and reviews