The Roman Theatre of Trieste is a compact Roman amphitheater where summer performances are occasionally hold.
The Roman theater of Trieste is located at the foot of San Giusto hill, in the city center.
The theater began to be built at the end of the 1st century BC and expanded at the beginning of the 2nd century AD. At the time of its construction it was located outside the city walls and near the sea, which at that time reached this area. Its stands, built taking advantage of the natural slope of the hill, used to host, according to various sources, from 3,500 to 6,000 spectators.
It was built at the behest of Quinto Petronio Modesto, citizen of Trieste and procurator of the emperor Trajan, mentioned in various inscriptions (according to other sources instead, he only took care of the renovation interventions).
Over the centuries, the theater was increasingly hidden by houses and other buildings which were built above. Considered lost, it was rediscovered in 1814 by the architect Pietro Nobile, but only in 1938 it was brought back to light, during the demolition of part of the old city. The statues and inscriptions found in the excavations are kept at the Lapidario Tergestino in the Castle of San Giusto (at the Civic Castle Museum).
Customer ratings and reviews