The Natural History Museum of Trieste is a civic museum with several collections of finds belonging to the sphere of botany, zoology, mineralogy, geology and paleontology. This museum hosts more than two million objects in total and, together with the Marine Aquarium, the Sea museum and the Botanical Garden, it is part of the scientific museums of Trieste.
The museum was founded as a zoological museum in 1846. In 1855, under the protectorate of Archduke Ferdinando Massimiliano, it was renamed 'Civico Museo Ferdinando Massimiliano'. Thanks to the numerous donations, as well as to the fruits of various expeditions, the number of finds has grown considerably over the time.
The museum therefore, while retaining a zoological address, has endowed itself with finds belonging to different scientific fields and has a specialized library with works in many languages, too.
In 2010, the transfer from the historic headquarter in Piazza Hortis to the new headquarter in the barracks abandoned by the army in via Cumano officially began. This new museum complex has revitalized a semi-peripheral area that was degraded for a long time.
One of the masterpiece of the collection is a dinosaur nicknamed Antonio, hosted in an homonymous hall, which is one of the most complete finds ever found.