The Port of Milazzo is an important port that connects Sicily with the rest of the country.
The "modern" port of Milazzo was built in 1843.
The port has significant importance in the lower Tyrrhenian Sea as well as being an important trading point in north-eastern Sicily, alongside the port of Messina.
Several important historical events took place at the port: in 1916 a military seaplane base of the Regia Marina was based in the current "Banchina dei Mille" for the defence of the surrounding sea waters. However, in July 1943 the base was destroyed by the Americans and never rebuilt. Today this port is essential for reaching the Aeolian Islands, either by ferry or by private boats. It also connects the island with Naples and Ustica.