This was already the Piazza Maggiore, the main market square, in the 14th century, surrounded by stores, taverns and shops, then used in 1550 as the governor’s offices, the city jails and the town hall.
The main building, on the Piazza del Sedile, it was built in 1540, renovated in 1759 and is now the headquarters of the Conservatory of Music, Egidio Romualdo Duni and the Gervasio Auditorium. The facade has two bell towers and is decorated with six statues. Overlooking the same square is also the Governor’s Palace, dating from the 17th-century, the first seat of the Royal Audience of Basilicata. Its basement was used as the city’s prison. Today it is a hotel.