Members of the Franciscan's order used the site as early as 1228, but the church as we see it today dates from the 14th-century. Built from brick, with a facade of large white and grey limestone ashlars arranged in horizontal and parallel lines, the church does not have an aisle and has a trussed roof. It has a monastery complex around it.
The interior is plain with a set of terracotta ornaments in the apse, where ceramic basins once stood. New presbyterian chapels were built during the 14th- and 15th-centuries according to the wishes of the Lord of Lucca; Paolo Guinigi.
Don't miss the Florentine-style 15th-century frescoes and the sepulchral arches by Ricciardi, where illustrious figures like poet Giovanni Guidiccioni and the composer Luigi Boccherini are buried.