This gateway is one of the original four medieval gates of the city. It dates back to the 13th-century. By 1354 it was equipped with a drawbridge. It was sealed in 1428 but reopened in the following decades. It is flanked by a machicolated tower and there are some pretty frescoes inside. Today there are six entrances to the city.