Central Park is the oldest in Almaty, founded in 1856, almost simultaneously with the city itself.
In 1940, a monument to M. Gorky was erected on the territory of the park. From 1935 until recently, the park was called the Gorky Central Park of Culture and Rest. Now the official name of the park is "Central Park", however, many people still call it "Gorky Park". In 2013, the territory of Central Park is only 42 hectares, while in 1983, it was over 100 hectares.
On the territory of the park, there are many objects popular with local residents and guests of the city: attractions for adults and children, a water park, a dolphinarium, a zoo, a children's railway, sports grounds, a tennis court, boat and catamaran rental stations, the "Bridge of Love" with locks, where loving couples gather, various cafes and restaurants, playgrounds for games.
For athletes and those who prefer active recreation, all conditions have been created in the park: there are football and basketball courts, a tennis court. A separate place is equipped for training skateboarders, bike and treadmills are laid, and a pinball club operates.