The synagogue, now a museum, is a Mudéjar construction built by Moorish architects in 1180.
Built under the Christian Kingdom of Castile by Islamic architects for the Jewish community, this site perfectly shows the fusion of cultures that lived in the Iberian Peninsula during this time.
The synagogue was converted into a church during the 15th-century and became the property of an order of monks.It was later used as a workshop store and barracks. The religious building is divided into five aisles by rows of arches supported by octagonal brick pillars and decorated with plant motifs. It has a plain white interior walls and a decorative red tiled floor.