This former Benedictine abbey in Zurich’s Old Town is one of the city’s oldest and largest churches. It was founded in 853 CE by Louis the German and his daughters.
Legend has it that a white stag led them to a site opposite Grossmünster Cathedral, which they took as a sign from God to build a religious sanctuary for women there. It was used by the female aristocrats of Europe until its dissolution in 1524 following the Swiss Revolution, when it fell under the control of the city of Zurich. Don’t miss the stained glass windows by Chagall and Giacometti and frescos by Paul Bodmer.
Customer ratings and reviews