The Egyptian Museum of Turin is the second largest Egyptian museum in the world after the Cairo museum and is solely dedicated to egyptian art and culture.
It can also be considered as the oldest Egyptian museum in the world because, even though it was formally founded in 1824, its origins dates back to the second half of the 18th sentury. In fact, in 1753 Charles Emmanuel III of Savoy commissioned the botanist Vitaliano Donati to travel to Egypt and acquire items from its past. Donati returned with 300 pieces recovered from Karnak and Coptos, which became the nucleus of the Turin collection.
From 2010 on, the museum has benefitted from programme of renovation and expansion which led to a new opening (1st of April 2015), with the addition of a 60,000 square meter extension. 6,500 objects are currently on display, with a further 26,000 objects in storage.
Via Accademia delle Scienze, 6, 10123, Turin