The museum is made up of two historic buildings, which have close links to world famous chocolate maker George Cadbury.
Selly Manor dates from medieval times and was originally called ‘Smyths Tenement’, after falling into disuse, it was saved by George Cadbury who arranged its move from Selly Oak to his new village where it stands today. The other building, Minworth Greaves, which is roughly 750 years old, was also re-built on its current site in Bournville by George’s son Laurence. The site has been a museum since 1916, depicting the history of both the site and Bournville. The Laurence Cadbury Collection at the museum includes examples of furniture and domestic objects from the 16th and 17th-century. There are also archives at the museum, available to see by arrangement.