On display in Rome from 4 April 2020 to 10 January 2021 in the Capitoline Museums are over 90 works selected from the 620 marbles cataloged and belonging to the Torlonia collection.
The Torlonia collection is one of most prestigious private collection of ancient sculptures, significant for the history of art.
The exhibition is the result of an agreement between the Ministry of Cultural Heritage and Activities and Tourism with the Torlonia Foundation; the latter restored the marbles selected with the contribution of Bvlgari who is also one of the major sponsors of the exhibition.
The exhibition tells the story of the ancient Roman and Greek marbles in five sections, through a backward path that begins with the evocation of the Torlonia Museum, founded in 1875 by Prince Alexander Torlonia. The next section brings together the 19th-century finds of antiquity in the Torlonia properties. The third section represents the 18th-century, with the sculptures from the acquisitions of Villa Albani and the collection of the sculptor and restorer Bartolomeo Cavaceppi. Following, a selection of the marbles by Vincenzo Giustiniani, one of the most sophisticated Roman collectors of the 17th century, and finally pieces from collections of aristocratic families of the 15th and 16th centuries.