The biggest bunker in northern France, this is a remarkable piece of Second World War battlefield archaeology.
In March 1943, Nazi Germany started building this giant bunker in northwest France. Its principal purpose was as a site for launching missiles towards the south of England and London, 177 kilometres away. The bunker’s location was therefore pivotal; far enough inland to be safe from naval guns, whilst staying within operational range of the English capital.
Once capable of launching up to 36 missiles a day, the site has been open to the public since 1973. The bunker is preserved as part of a privately-owned museum that presents its history and the German V-weapons programme with guided tours. It has been protected by the French state as a historical monument since 1986.