Just off Hohe Straße, this museum is on the former site of the church of St.Kolumba, before it was destroyed in the Second World War.
It was replaced by a chapel in 1950. The museum was originally founded in the former Archbishop’s palace in 1853 by the Society for Christian Art has been run by the Archdiocese since 1989. Its exhibitions are dedicated to religious art, from late antiquity to nowadays.The design of this museum preserves this building, simply ‘‘wrapping’’ grey-brick around it. There are 16 exhibition rooms with regularly changing displays of paintings, drawings and sculptures. Be sure not to miss the works by renowned artists Joseph Beuys and Paul Thek.