About a nine-minute walk from Place de la Comedie, and next to the white and majestic Montpellier Court, is the Arc de Triomphe, also known as “Porte du Peyrou”.
Designed by François Dorbay, the Porte de la Peru is modelled after the Porte Saint-Denis in Paris. It was built in 1693. Reliefs and inscriptions praising Louis XIV were added in 1715. They describe four major events during the reign of Louis XIV; The War of the Grand Alliance takes Namur; the figure representing the Dutch Republic kneels before Louis XIV; Louis crowned by Victoria; Excavation of the Canal du Midi to connect the Bay of Biscay and the Mediterranean and the Edict of Fontainebleau.