The Hansaplatz with its 17-metre-high fountain and its linden trees is a central meeting point in Hamburg's St. Georg district.
In the 14th-century, the area around Hansaplatz was a public grazing area for cows and pigs. From the 18th-century the site was leased to carpenters who used it to store wood and tools. The fountain was inaugurated in 1878. At the top the crowning glory is an allegory of the strength and power of the former Hanseatic League. The tram line has crossed the Hansaplatz since 1890.
In 1978, Hansaplatz was redesigned and has since developed into a meeting place.