The Scuola Grande di San Rocco is a well-known building in Venice (Italy). It is famous for its collection of paintings by Tintoretto, probably including some of his finest work.
The building was named after a lay confraternity established in 1478 and devoted to San Rocco, popularly regarded as a protector against plague. This building was the previous seat of the confraternity itself, whose members were wealthy Venetian citizens. The site they chose for their building is next to the church of San Rocco which houses the remains of the Saint.
In January 1515 the confraternity commissioned the project of the building to Bartolomeo Bon. In 1524 his work was continued by Sante Lombardo, who, in turn, three years later was replaced by Antonio Scarpagnino. Following his death in 1549, the last architect to work on the edifice was Giangiacomo dei Grigi, finishing in September 1560.
The design was similar to others scuole (headquarters of guilds) in Venice, characterized by two halls, one at ground floor level, the other at first floor level: the Sala Terra (Lower Hall) and the Sala Superiore (Upper Hall). The latter provided access to the Sala dell'Albergo, which housed the Banca and the Zonta (the confraternity's supervisory boards).
In 1564 the painter Tintoretto was commissioned to provide paintings for the Scuola, and his most renowned works are to be found in the Sala dell'Albergo and the Sala Superiore. All the works in the building are by him, or his assistants, including his son Domenico and were executed between 1564 and 1587. Works in the Sala Terra are in homage to the Virgin Mary, and concentrate on episodes from her life. In the Sala Superiore, works on the ceiling are from the Old Testament, and on the walls from the New Testament.