Originally built in the mid-18th century, this 200-metres stone pier is named after the Italian Navy destroyer Audace.
The Audace pier is located on the banks of Trieste, in the heart of the city.
In 1740 the ship San Carlo sank in the port of Trieste, near the shore. Instead of removing the wreck, it was decided to use it as a base for the construction of a new pier, which was built between 1743 and 1751 and was dedicated to San Carlo.
At the time the pier was shorter than it is today: it measured only 95 meters in length and was joined to the ground by a small wooden bridge. Today it measures 246 meters; moreover, the small bridge has been eliminated and the pier connected directly to the mainland.
At the San Carlo pier both passenger and merchant ships used to dock, with great movement of people and goods.
On 3 November 1918, at the end of the First World War, the first ship of the Italian Navy to enter the port of Trieste and to dock at the San Carlo pier was the destroyer Audace, whose anchor is now exposed at the base of Vittoria lighthouse.
In memory of this event, the name of the pier was changed and a bronze wind-rose was erected at the end of the pier in 1925, with an epigraph in the center in remembrance of the event (and which replaced a previous wind-rose built in stone).
Over the years, the Audace pier gradually lost its commercial function, and today only passing boats dock occasionally.
The pier has thus remained a popular place with undoubted charm, really appreciated by tourists.
Customer ratings and reviews