In 1880, Place Sébastopol was destined to be a linen and flax market but only the foundations were completed. Today it is a 1,350-seat theatre and performance hall.
When the Grand Théâtre de Lille burned down in April 1903, the municipality asked the architect Léonce Hainez and the company Debosque d 'Armentières to build a temporary theater within four months. Its construction began on August 19th and lasted 103 days. It was inaugurated on November 30th, 1903 by Gustave Delory, mayor of Lille.
The theatre remains true to its origins despite an evolving interieur. Good visibility and acoustics contribute to its ongoing success, and today it hosts more than 60 shows, concerts and plays every year. Screenings, festivals, conferences and political meetings are also held at the venue.