Chapel famous for its exterior of blue & white tiles painted with scenes from the lives of saints.
The Chapel of Souls or Chapel of Santa Caterina is located in the parish of Santo Ildefonso, in the city of Porto, Portugal.
It originates from an old wooden chapel built in honor of Santa Caterina. The construction of the building that exists today dates back to the end of the 18th century, when the Confraternity of Souls moved to the chapel of Santa Caterina.
The chapel has two bodies, the second is the lowest and has undergone expansion and restoration works that changed the original style in 1801.
The main facade has a decorated door and is completed by a circular pediment. The dome is crowned with an iron cross.
Until 1929, the external surfaces of the chapel were free of tiles, removed or severely damaged. The current roof of the chapel is made up of 15,947 azulejos (tiles) covering an area of 360 square meters. The azulejos are the work of Eduardo Lait and were made by the Viuda Lamego ceramic factory in Lisbon. They date back to 1929 and represent the stages of the life of San Francesco d'Assisi and Santa Caterina, which are revered in the chapel.
Chapel of Souls
Rua de Santa Catarina 428, 4000-124 Porto, Portugal