A short walk from the Belvedere, the Belvedere 21 is interesting both for its original design as well as its collection of contemporary art.
This impressive building was the Austrian pavilion for the World Expo held in Brussels in 1958. The Belvedere 21 earned the Austrian architect Karl Schwanzer the Grand Prix of Architecture for its ingenious design. The building was later transferred to Vienna and today is home to a museum of contemporary art. Since 2002 it is part of the Belvedere. Adolf Krischanitz, a disciple of Schwanzer’s, was responsible for its remodeling and adaptation in 2011.
The venue houses a collection of Austrian art dating from 1945 to the present day, complemented by works of contemporary art from the Belvedere. It also has a café-restaurant and a movie theater, in addition to the temporary exhibitions and events that are organized regularly.
Watching one of the films screened at the Blickle Kino – a cinema that dates back to the 1950s– and then have a Viennese coffee on the fabulous terrace of the sculpture courtyard.
For combined tickets, click here.
Arsenalstraße 1, 1030 Vienna